‘Kitanomaru Koen’ park is located in the very heart of Tokyo to be an urban oasis thickly covered with green.
Being adjacent to the Imperial Palace and the main building site of Edo Castle, Kitanomaru Koen park used to be the premises of the Tayasu Tokugawa family and Shimizu Tokugawa family in the Edo period in the 18th century. After the Meiji Restoration in the 19th century, when Japan’s modernization started, the Imperial Guard Division was established here. Present Kitanomaru Park was built to be opened to the public after the second World War, through these historical details.
This park is the important green in the very heart of Tokyo together with the Imperial Palace East Garden and Hibiya Park. However, as shown in the first picture, this park features thick green as if in a countryside even though it is in the central part of Tokyo. Furthermore, luminous moss designated as a national monument grows naturally.
‘Tayasu-mon’ gate as shown in the second picture stands on the north side of this park. This gate, built in 1636, is the oldest gate among many existing gates of Edo Castle. ‘Shimizu-mon’ gate, rebuilt in 1658, is also found on the east side of this park, both of them are designated as important cultural assets.